Tourism Relief Fund
The Tourism Relief Fund supports tourism businesses and organizations to adapt their operations to meet public health requirements while investing in products and services to facilitate their future growth. With a budget of $500 million over two years, including $50 million specifically dedicated to Indigenous tourism initiatives, this Fund will position Canada to be a destination of choice when domestic and international travel is once again safe by:
- empowering tourism businesses to create new or enhance existing tourism experiences and products to attract more local and domestic visitors; and
- helping the sector reposition itself to welcome international visitors by providing the best Canadian tourism experiences we have to offer the world.
In southern Ontario, FedDev Ontario is delivering TRF funding to local organizations.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED.
Who can apply?
Eligible applicants include tourism entities that cater mainly to visitors, such as:
- not-for-profit organizations, such as tourism associations; and
- band councils or other Indigenous organizations and cooperatives.
To be considered eligible for this Fund, applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- be a key supplier or operator in the visitor experience;
- be part of a defined tourism cluster or tourism dependent community, including supporting downtown cores; or
- provide an anchor product or service in a destination.
What activities are supported?
Tourism Relief Fund projects will focus on:
- Product development: For example, projects that enhance tourism experiences, help tourism businesses adapt to the “new normal” and modernize their offerings, and encourage the adoption of more environmentally sustainable and inclusive practices.
- Destination development: For example, projects that position communities to take advantage of post-pandemic opportunities through strategic planning for medium- to long-term investments, as well as supporting destination development in line with objectives set out in the Federal Tourism Growth Strategy.
What kind of financial support is being provided?
Contributions to businesses will be either:
- non-repayable contributions up to $100,000 for up to 50 percent of eligible costs; or
- fully repayable contributions up to $500,000 for up to 75 percent of eligible costs.
- **NOTE: A business cannot receive a combination of a non-repayable and a repayable contribution for the same project.
- Not-for-profit organizations and Indigenous entities (not generating profits) will be eligible for non-repayable contributions.
- Project contribution amounts would not exceed $500,000. The actual contribution amount will be based on the minimum amount required to carry out the project.
RTO7 COVID-19 Recovery Support
Who is eligible:
- defined as a consumer facing organization that has direct access to the tourism consumer and relies directly on that consumer for their income
- Must have been in business one year from the date of application
- be currently serving the tourism consumer within BruceGreySimcoe, OR
- have served the tourism consumer at some point since April 2021, OR
- be planning to serve the tourism consumer within 45 days of the application date (e.g. a seasonal business)
- Tourism Operators are permitted to apply for other similar programs from other assistance programs
- Available on a “First Come, First Served” basis until funds are allocated
- You may access this program (and vice-versa) if you have benefitted from RTO7’s Consumer Confidence Video or Image (under Resources) or Operations Implementation Program (under Programs), however you cannot be reimbursed for the same expense twice
- You may only apply once for this program
What can you expect:
- RTO7 will reimburse 50% of your eligible capital expenditures related to COVID safety and security (e.g. a patio expansion by a restaurant to accommodate more patrons, furniture, heaters, barriers, large scale sanitization equipment, booking and POS systems, etc.). Reimbursement is a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $2,000 pre-tax.
What’s expected of you:
- You will need to meet/agree to the requirements in the application below (please let us know if you have questions about the application – these requirements are not onerous)
- You will need to provide copies of receipts for the pre-tax amount you are claiming
This fund is made possible by the Government of Ontario and the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries.
Download the Application Form below and submit application to Alex at email@example.com
Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org